Do you really read the details and instructions mentioned on wash care label in your outfit? There is a big possibility that you might have missed to see this atleast one out of three garments of yours. Its not weird though as many people do so.
Details on wash care labels are very much important but knowingly or unknowingly it is missed or is ignored. Sometimes this can have negative impact on the garment.
Usually, they are hidden unlike main labels and are mostly placed inside the garment. In case of shirts, T-shirts and tops labels are at left side on the side seam about 10cm above the bottom hem. In some cased like socks or gloves or caps wash care details is mentioned on price tag or packaging.
What is washcare?
Wash Care Symbols The care labels on your garments give you special instructions to help you keep your clothes looking their best. The wash care label is also referred to as a care label, washing instruction label, care & content label, and a few other choice terms.
Essentially, this is the label that you find in a garment that contains the washing instructions.
What details are mentioned on a wash care?
- Fiber Composition – composition of a garment indicates the ratio or fiber content in the fabric. Fiber composition is important for the characteristics of fabric. For example if elastane 3-5% it is considered stretchy fabric whereas if it is lesser then stretch property is affected. Similarly in case of other blended or interwoven fabric richness of composition inherit that property in the fabric.
Examples of fiber compositions – 60% cotton 40% poly, 95% cotton 5% elastane, 60% cotton 37% poly 3% elastane, 60% linen 40% cotton.
- Washing instructions – Washing instruction are technical instructions to wash the garment in order to perform better or maintain durability. In case of not following the washing instructions it may damage color or fabric of the garment or affect other garments being washed together.
- Turn inside out before washing and drying or wash and dry inside out
- Wash similar colors together
- Remove trims while washing
- Do not wash
- Dry clean only
- Wash with cold water
- Hand wash
- Hang/Line dry
- Flat dry
- Reshape while damp
- Dry immediately after wash
- Do not iron print or appliques
- Care symbol – Care symbols are small symbols on the wash care label which indicates about method of caring the garment.
- Country of origin – Country of origin is terms used for name of country where name of the country where garment is manufactured is mentioned on wash care labels. In many countries mentioning country of origin is mandatory as per government law.
Why is washcare label important?
Care labels are essential when making the decision to purchase items, especially clothing. Without the guidance of an accurate care label; it would not be known how to properly care for a particular garment which in the long run could ruin the fabric.
If certain materials are not cared for in the proper way, it is possible the fabric could rip, come apart, fade away, pill away, or even shrink. Often times without proper care labels, colors will run onto other clothes while in the washing machine, or in fact some fabrics should not even be put in a traditional washer; instead they must be dry cleaned by a professional service.
Delicate fabric may get damaged if not washed inside out. Similarly certain dyes are no meant for direct exposure to sun and drying it in sunlight may ruin the color of the garment. Sometimes there are removable design appliques or trims in garments which is supposed to be removed while washing or ironing but leaving them un-removed may damage these trims or appliques.
Wash care instruction have specified parameters mentioned like wash at 40°, iron at 110°. In case of not following these parameters result may not be satisfactory or it can damage the garment.